Absence makes the heart grow fonder...Lois is going to start realizing why she's missing Clark so much, but it remains to be seen when she figures out her own feelings. It was great that she's irritated at Lex's possessive touching and that she's irritated on Superman's behalf at all of the strangers who touch him.
A flare of disappointment shot through her, then a hazy sort of gratitude that at least he was letting her down gently.
That she's not devastated at being shot down is perfect...even she knows in her heart that a relationship with Superman really isn't in the cards. But then her thoughts shift to Clark, and while she's only seeing him as the best friend she's potentially losing as a result of their broken partnership, I have hope that she'll eventually see him in a new light.

Their phone conversation is fabulous. It has the zing and banter that I remember from the first season - Clark willing to call her out for things, Lois not backing down. It's the equality of their partnership that makes it special. It's somehow easier to be honest on the phone or online, when you don't have to look the person you're confronting in the eye. I think that being on the phone for this conversation allows both of them to speak honestly about their opinions. Sad that she hung up the phone, but first season Lois probably would have marched off in a huff anyway, even if they were having this discussion face to face. laugh

Waiting for more! grovel

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink