Wow, thanks for the comments, everyone! So, all charter members of the Congressman Gerald Munroe fan club? As in, wanting to throw him into a rotating fan? wink

My view is that Congressman Munroe and his colleagues aren't fearless, just addicted to motivated reasoning. They ignore any facts that don't fit the way they want the world to be. There are plenty of politicians like that, sadly.

Also, I don't think Munroe is the ringleader of this particular movement, just its spokesman. It's even possible the instigator is someone in the President's own party, using an opposition Congressman as the public face to avoid conflict with the party leadership.

I think part of their approach also has to do with the comment IolantheAlias made for Chapter 30:
But hey, Kara is only eleven, and a kid, and plus, she's female which automatically makes people feel they can tell her what to do.
Maybe these people are used to ordering their own daughters around and can't imagine Kara won't do whatever they tell her to.

What they're doing to Emily and Caitlin is pretty horrible, but these are powerful people who are used to getting what they want, and dressing that up as "the public interest." As they see it, Kara's relationship with Emily is getting in their way.

President Hunter isn't being nice to Kara (purely) out of the goodness of his heart. He talked about it back in Chapter 20, and there'll be more next time. He's just taking the "catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" approach.

I'm really happy to see comments like this… I wanted the political aspects to be believable, to make it seem more like "our world." I will think over what everyone has said. Thank you!