Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I agree, except I doubt novelizations are taken into account, since most people don't read them. I believe that the more detail in the novelization is more of the writer (author of the novelizations) trying to fill in the plot holes from the script
I doubt that they're taken to account as well, except in rare cases where the director/studio/someone wants to go all trans-media or something.

I collect movie novelizations, and many seem to be written for kids and teens in order to grab a few extra bucks from an audience who may not be allowed to see the movie, or for people who just want something extra. These novels often contain cut scenes from the films or photos (of scenes) cut from the films, which is mainly why I collect them.

But occasionally they do fill in the plot holes or add scenes or dialogue that the movie should've included, but didn't in the end.

And other times, movie novelizations turn out to be completely insane .

With DVD extras, nowadays we often get to SEE (rather than just read about) those extra scenes (if they were shot). There's a pretty good one between Clark and Martha in Superman Returns that was left out of the film. Wish they'd included that instead of, say, five minutes of crystal-growing.

Molly