Originally posted by John Lambert:
Although, to be fair, one of the most annoying things about Superman Returns, Lois being a single-mother who does not know the paternity of her child is a direct result of Superman II. Well, sort of, her having a 5-year-old child and not having actually married the guy she treats as the child's father is I think what caused some of the outrage at it, but the reason for that is they wanted to leave open an option for Superman and Lois to rekindle their romance, but make it seem nearly impossible.
Technically, Lois and Richard, I believe, didn't start dating until after she had Jason, so I don't think she ever considered that Richard was Jason's true father. Lois wasn't the type to sleep around, so to find herself impregnated soon after Superman left Earth made her wonder if it was possible *he* was the father. Her belief that Superman is Jason's father and may return someday, was why she never finalized her engagement of Richard into a marriage. It was why she became a Superman-basher after Superman left, because she was so angry at him for doing that to her. Yes, she was trying to move on with her life with Richard, and did end up using Richard to some extent, but a part of her hadn't given up hope for Superman's return.

I still blame Superman for that whole problem, and it is why I never can really tolerate the film at all. I don't really blame Lois. It is Superman who creates a child and then abandons it, leaving Lois to be a single parent.
It was wrong for Clark to leave on that journey without saying good-bye to Lois, but he *didn't* know that she was pregnant, so to blame him for abandoning Jason and being a deadbeat dad really isn't fair. As soon as he discovers that Jason is his son, he tells Lois that he wants to be part of his son's life and not be the absent father.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.