Originally posted by LNCroxmysox:
... the suspect circumstances with him being gone for 5 years, which they failed to explain properly (but it DOES get better explained in the novelization) ...
I've been wondering whether the movie makers are getting lazy with their plots because of novelizations. Do they think, "it doesn't matter whether we explain it well in the movie because the novel explains it"? Do they leave out important details thinking that they're not really lost because they're still available in book form? I understand that a book has much more room available to flesh out characters and plot details than a movie does, but a movie needs to be complete on its own.

I think part of the problem is that plot-driven scenes seem to get cut for time in favor of action scenes. There's a cut scene in Revenge of the Sith, for example, that shows the formation of the Rebel Alliance. I'd rather have that in the movie and cut down the length of that weird lava lightsaber fight between Vader and Obi-Wan. Action is fun and all, but I like it to have some purpose as part of a plot that makes sense.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)