I don't think I can add anything much to what everybody has said thus far. It's a little sad that decades after the concept of Evolution is introduced, there's still so much misunderstanding about the entire concept, so much so that some people have demanded it be taken off the school syllabus. Or worse, introduce an oxymoron like "Creation Science". While they scoff at the Theory of Evolution for being "just a theory", I don't see them take the same attitude for, say the Kinetic Particle Theory. :p

I think though, that many Christians who have problems with Evolution only know one very famous aspect of it; and that man evolved from apes. That's not what evolution is about. Charles Darwin never said "Man evolved from apes". However, Evolution does suggest a mechanism of which man and ape COULD have shared a common ancestor, I suppose that this notion is totally unacceptable for some people.

In any case, I believe that Science and Religion should be kept separate. They are not mutually exclusive, but they should be kept distinct.

In Science, there are steps in place, things to be done, before a hypothesis (a scientific guess/thought) could be accepted as a Theory (a scientific explanation that fits all presently available evidence). Even if a Theory has been accepted for a long time, emergence of new conflicting evidence will overturn it. A good example of this is Classical Mechanics like Newton's Laws of Motion.

Religion is about faith, not proof. You can't prove/disprove religious texts, but with evidence, you can certainly do so for scientific ones. You may believe what is written in religious texts, without needing hard evidence. That's Faith. However, Faith has no place in Science.

In short, if you were to complete this sentence "I do not accept the theory of Evolution because..." your answer should be along the lines of "the experiments are biased/skewed/inaccurate"...etc. What your religion is should not be a consideration at all.

twins
metwin1