18. Percy Jackson: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Book 4 of the series and the excitement level builds. This isn't your Harry Potter where only rarely do kids die. This is a full blown war and there are many casualties. I loved the mortal character Rachel Elizabeth Dare, who can see the monsters hidden from others.

19. The BFG by Roald Dahl

My daughter read this in school last year, and loved it, and my son chose it as his read aloud book for bedtime. It was awful. Hard to understand, even harder to read aloud. The plotting and characters were weak and the ending straight out of dream, so much so I expected it to turn into one. My daughter kept telling us how funny it was, and my son and I kept waiting for the humor to arrive... we've finished the book and we're still waiting.

20. The Monster's Ring by Bruce Coville

Interesting look at how to solve one's bullying problems: get a magical ring which turns one into a monster. Lots of fun in the 'watch out what you wish for' category. evil Great read aloud book for around Halloween.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.