Originally posted by Female Hawk:
You're reading Trixie Belden!!
jawdrop

I grew up thinking every American teenager was just like Trixie and Honey, Jim and Brian. (And it was here that I learned what a jalopy was!)

I found a fanfic site once, but it gave my computer a virus, so be warned. (And the one story I did read was very ordinary.)

Keep reading. The one set in Arizona (#6?) was my favourite.

At some stage, the author changes from Julie Campbell to Kathryn Kenny. IMO, the books weren't as good after that.

Corrina.
Well, I'm spending all my free time writing instead of reading, so I've decided to include the books I'm reading aloud to my daughter at night at bedtime. (My son still prefers picture books, but he listens in as well). I wanted to read her Nancy Drew, but thought it might be too scary, so the librarian suggested Trixie. I had never heard of her stories before, but my older sister has read her books and said she LOVED them too.

I always find it fun to read the "classics" or books written during an earlier era to see how much has changed. Kids used to have much more freedom than they do nowadays. I'm also reading my daughter the "Fudge" books by Judy Blume (started with "Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing") because I thought she'd appreciate her brother more after hearing about how Fudge tortured Peter. These books were fairly new when I read them as a kid, but I've already noted difference between now and then. The dentist who doesn't let mothers come in while he's checking the kid's teeth, was seen as super-cool by Peter, while nowadays no mother would allow that (out of fear of pedophiles).

Times, they are a changing.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.