#6 - Death, and the death of Quincas Wateryell - Jorge Amado

Tragicomic story about a stubborn man that died twice because the first death wasn't to his liking. Amado is a master at storytelling.

#7 - The Gospel according to Jesus Christ - José Saramago

It was (and is) considered a very controversial book because in it Jesus Christ is portrayed as a regular male, who happens to be a living puppet in the hands of a mean God - his father.

#8 - Beowulf

It took me a few days and a good dictionary to get used to the old English, but after that I greatly enjoyed the epic poem.

#9 - Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery

I don't know where this book was while I was growing up. It was one of the best I've ever read, this tale of an awkward and imaginative red haired girl who grows up to be very special.

#10 - The Drama of the Gifted Child - Alice Miller

The premise is interesting: some children are born gifted but, because of their narcissistic parents, end up wasting their potential and becoming themselves narcissistic adults. That said, the book centers on psychoanalysys and how it could help discover those childhood traumas. The problem is that the author of the book in the preface of the most recent editions discredits the value of psychoanalysys. The book is pretty much bereft of any credibility and is only interesting from an anedoctal point of view.

#11 - Stranger to History - Aatish Taseer

It was hard to follow for someone like me who doesn't have a profound knowledge of the islamic nations. I found it confusing in some parts, but it's noticeable the effort that the author put into this first-person report of his voyage through islamic lands.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett