however, did I get you correctly when I thought you were saying that "the breath of fresh air" of the Smallville show was that it, basically, got rid of Lois Lane and replaced her with a comparable female (in this case Chloe Sullivan)?
No, I think she said they would rather have gone with Lois Lane (although to the best of my knowledge, no version of Supes had Lois living in Smallville as a teenager), but couldn't get the rights to her. However, IMO, Chloe basically was Lois, just under a different name. Which set them up for a big problem, because when they brought in the "real" Lois later, her character niche was already filled, so they had to change her almost unrecognizably.

It's messed up.

And the Lana thing has driven me nuts for years. Was so glad to hear she was gone for good -- although the way they did it does amplify the "Lois as second best" meme.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K