In regards to the original comment about Obama’s pin I have to blame the media. Actually, that’s probably not entirely accurate. I have to blame the 24-hour media. 30 or 40 years ago the news media had a very limited window by which to disseminate information and make an impact or even make a point to the public. At best they had 30 minutes to an hour nightly with which to cover local, national and global events on television or radio and newspapers were limited to daily or perhaps twice daily printings to do the same.

Because of this limited “window” they had to be a bit more thoughtful when they chose their stories. A story for instance about Obama ceasing to wear a patriotic symbol for whatever reasons might by necessity have to take backseat to a story about his policies on a given issue such as healthcare or national defense. However, with the advent of 24-hour networks the question was no longer “which story to run with?” but rather, “what other stories can we run?”

In today’s media the struggle to fill programming hours makes even the most minute moments worthy of extensive commentary. In the 70’s there was a much run clip of President Ford slipping and falling down the steps while disembarking from a plane. Had that happened today we would see stories covering such topics as his mindset prior to and following the incident, what he may have eaten earlier that day that may have affected his balance, in-depth investigations into the manufacturers of the steps and the planes, as well as a retrospective of other great falls in history while disembarking from transportation conveyances.

All of this coverage or “pseudo-coverage” has an impact on viewers as this level of scrutiny has an unfortunate tendency toward “nit-picking”. I think we see just from the internet community how what were once simply enjoyable television shows are now fodder to be dissected and analyzed as to scene lighting, plot points, and continuity. Of course, we can argue that these things are important from a story-telling perspective, but if we’re honest would we really have even wondered about some of this stuff if someone else hadn’t pointed out that a season 5, episode 6 of “Smallville” directly contradicted a statement made by an extra in season 2 episode 9?

Personally, when a major news story happens I will turn to the big chains to see the coverage and get as much information that I can. However, my rule of thumb is that the moment one news personality begins to interview another news personality about the incident it’s time to switch off the TV as that is a sure sign that all relevant information has been exhausted.

I remember giving an interview to a news station shortly after 9/11 and being asked what advice I would give to individuals in our country who had been traumatized by those events. I’m sure my answer gave my interviewer a start because it was, “turn off the TV”. It’s reasonable to watch and gain information about a traumatizing event because we all seek to make sense of even that which will never make sense, but it’s foolish to subject yourself to re-traumatization every half-hour as the same story runs over and over again.

I think politics falls into this same realm. Before the days of YouTube and the internet would Hillary even have known that Obama borrowed a line from another politician’s speech? And then would we have been subjected to numerous postings and examples of Hillary having done the exact same thing herself?

Look at the recent McCain controversy. 40 years ago would The New York Times have gone to print with a story that made such serious charges without further and more detailed investigation? And then would they while not retracted the article then have published another by a different reporter criticizing the paper for having done just that? I’m all for a little open debate, but when it’s with myself I feel a little foolish. Would this decision have been so hastily made had they not feared that half a dozen bloggers and 3 gossip news programs would have ran with even less than that had they caught wind of it first?

I think instant access to information has been a wonderful thing in some instances and created some positive effects such as accountability in certain situations. Unfortunately, like most super powers though the same idiom of “With great power comes great responsibility” applies and not every possessor exercises “great responsibility”.

As for the broader topic of “patriotism” I found this quote from Mark Twain to be apt:

For in a republic, who is the country?

Is it the government which is for the moment in the saddle? Why, the government is merely a temporary servant: it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Who then is the country? Is it the newspaper? Is it the pulpit? Why, these are mere parts of the country, not the whole of it, they have not command, they have only their little share in the command.

They are but one in a thousand; it is in the thousand that command is lodged; they must determine what is right and what is wrong; they must decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Who are the thousand--that is to say, who are "the Country"?

In a monarchy, the king and his family are the country: In a republic it is the common voice of the people each of you, for himself, by himself and on his own responsibility, must speak.

It is a solemn and weighty responsibility, and not lightly to be flung aside at the bullying of pulpit, press, government, or the empty catchphrases of politicians.

Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man.

To decide it against your convictions is to be an unqualified and inexcusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may.

If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have your duty by yourself and by your country. Hold up your head. You have nothing to be ashamed of'."

-Mark Twain

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown