Obama opposed the war from the start, and has stated that, if elected, he'd work to withdraw our troops within a year. Clinton voted for the war initially, and has yet to make a clear comment about what she'd do if elected.
As a congressman in Illinois, O. opposed the war, although it must be added that it is not the states who make these decisions. While in the federal Congress, Obama's voting record with respect to Iraq has been similar to Clinton's.

For example:
May 24, 2007 - he voted against a US$120-billion funding package for the Iraq war that contained no troop-withdrawal deadline. Obama was one of only 10 Democrats, including Hillary Clinton, who were opposed. ( Both parties supported the bill.)

As well O. has said in a press interview that he would not leave Iraq if the conditions were "not right". But that could mean a lot of things. smile In other interviews he's said he would aim to have the troops in a year and a half "if conditions were right".

Remember, too, that late last fall he said that he would unilaterally invade Pakistan if he received Intelligence that Osama were there.

It's been interesting thread to thread through. Some observations on Paul's questions in his opening post.

Patriotism -An anecdote, some years old now:
I've met a lot of Americans while travelling . The most patriotic person I ever met was a middle-aged Republican, and he was genuinely upset, worrying around the issue of how a Republican president could so betray the underlying principles of both the constitutiion and personal integrity. He never said 'my country is the best' or some variation of that, but it was clear to me that he loved his country deeply.

btw, for the most enthusiastic patriotism ever, anywhere, check soccer fans. smile

Was it Samuel Johnson who said that "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"?

And a word on symbols:
Napoleon on the creation of the Legion of Honour:
"Men are led by toys".

Is there a link between income level and the degree of overt expression of patriotism? Or does it vary with region? or...?

rambling early morning thoughts....

c.