Pride in one's own country shouldn't mean putting down others. Most of the time, even in the American context, it doesn't. As you say, it's those few strident voices.
Yes. Even the ones who say "We're #1!" aren't necessarily putting anyone else down. The implication is there, but I'm not sure it's actually meant that way, if that makes sense. (Sometimes, yes, but not every time you hear it.)

As for McCain, I was surprised to see him take such a clear lead. He's split with the party on some major issues, and he didn't really get too far in his '04 bid. I'd have expected more competition from Romney or someone. I'm curious about how and why it turned out the way it did, but I wonder if anyone really knows.

We hear about ambulances being sent from hospital to hospital with critically-ill patients inside, as hospitals refuse to accept them because they're uninsured.
As has been said, that's illegal. There can be issues with overcrowding, but even then hospitals are often reluctant to give up patients.

Around here, we actually have the opposite problem. We have two major competing hospitals. Each runs its own ambulance service, and an ambulance from one hospital will not take you to the other. Emergency services is required to give you the option. So every time there's a call for an ambulance, you get two at the door.

It's my impression that Edwards had the best-thought-out plan, but he's out of the running.
Funny you should say that. Edwards is the candidate Terry was referring to, the lawyer who made much of his money suing doctors. It is, as Terry said, a practice which has really gotten out of hand in this country, and which has led to impossibly high malpractice insurance rates. There are a lot of doctors (particularly in higher risk specialties such as obstetrics) who can no longer afford to practice medicine because they can't squeeze enough out of the patients' insurance companies (who often pay at or even below cost) to pay the premiums for their own insurance.

A friend of mine was telling me a while back about a beloved local doctor who was getting ready for retirement. He still wanted to practice, but wanted to cut down on his workload. He was considering going to half days, but then realized that the money he'd make wouldn't be enough to cover his malpractice premiums, let alone any of his other expenses.

It's insane. (And, while the health care system was badly broken during the 90s, Hillary Clinton's attempts at reform played a big role in making things much worse...)

I would definitely like to see real scrutiny of the candidates' plans for healthcare reform.
Well, quickly:

The chart I linked above has summaries of the candidates' stands on major issues, including health care.

The candidates' websites also have their stated positions on the issue. In alphabetical order:

Clinton

McCain

Obama

It's not in depth analysis (with pros and cons) by a media pundit, if that's what you meant. But if you're interested in what they're saying about the issue, it's a good start.

And why is medical insurance a right?
Medical insurance is not a right. However...

Health care is.

Food, clothing, shelter, education, health care... These are basic human needs, and everyone on the planet should have a right to them. It's a tragedy and an injustice that many don't. But in a modern, developed country, it's a source of shame that we as a society can't live up to that responsibility to our fellow citizens.

It doesn't have to be about insurance. But, however you organize it, a large part of making that care available comes down to paying the bills. Doctors need to be compensated for their services, so they can pay their own bills. Equipment needs to be paid for. Medications (production, distribution, R&D, etc) need to be paid for. The money has to come from somewhere. And it's going to be beyond the means of a lot of patients.

Of course, there's a lot more that needs to be fixed about the system.

But first, we need to fix the system that makes the system. As it is, the insurance companies are a powerful lobby. They pay congress to write the laws to benefit them. It's outrageous what they've gotten away with. The health care system isn't going to be fixed until lobbying is outlawed, until the lawmakers are writing laws to benefit the people instead of the highest bidder.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.