Originally posted by DSDragon:
Marcus, I am SO jealous of your 4000 book space! In order to get that much space for my books, I'd have to build shelves on the walls (because I still live with my family--parents and siblings, that is--and it's the only room I'm allowed to change for my own use), and I don't have the carpentry know-how, or the motivation to take the collage off of my wall of all my mementos/pictures/awards/etc.
I started collecting SF books when I was twelve or so and have been short of space ever since. The previous occupants of this flat had two 5 ft alcoves with shelving and thought that was a lot - when I moved in I added ten shelving units lining the walls of my office, and another two sets of shelves in my bedroom. Since then I've tucked another set of shelves onto a dead-end landing outside my bedroom, more in the bedroom, a row of cookbooks etc. on top of the fridge, and so forth. After this the next step would be to rip out some old water tanks which are no longer used from the loft space, and put book shelves in the space that would free, but we had squirrels get in there a couple of years ago so I've decided not to risk it - which means I'll have to start giving books away. It's not a problem - there's a lot of stuff I've bought just to have something to read at lunch time, many of which will never be read again - but I need to find time and willpower to do it.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game