Some days I wish I could sit around and read fanfic all day! I teach 8th grade US History to 13 and 14 year old kids. Some of my classes have students who can't read, some students aren't fluent in English, two classes have special education (learning handicapped) students, one class has a student identified as "emotionally disturbed", one of my classes today had 10 students on off-campus suspension for gang activity, and the other classes have gifted students who need extra intellectual challenges. Today's challenge: convince my 165 students that Shays' Rebellion was both interesting and important and they should bother to learn about it. How did I do it? By a simulation of the concept in which I was literally crawling on my knees and begging kids to give me money, illustrating the concept of inflation through Coke cans and Flaming Hot Cheetos, and throwing kids out of their chairs as I climbed on top of their desks in 5 inch heels to dance in celebration of repossessing their "farms".

My feet hurt. smile

Susan (who, despite all this, loves her job! smile )

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink