As a resident of Puerto Rico, where 4 million disenfranchised American citizens are at the total mercy of a President for whom we cannot vote grumble , I would be more than amiable to the idea of eliminating the Electoral College!

The first year I filled out my federal tax return and realized I had to pay federal taxes - it's a long story, but most Puerto Rican residents do not pay federal taxes - I went to the ACLU. Does the phrase "Taxation without Representation" sound familiar? The man at the ACLU said there wasn't a thing they could do about it, short of changing the constitution to eliminate the Electoral College! I've been paying federal taxes ever since, and I can't vote for President, nor do I have a single Senator or Congressman representing me. mad

Actually, I disagree that without the EC, no-one would care what the people of Rhode Island think. I believe that *with* the EC, no-one cares. Both Bush & Kerry put the majority of their efforts into winning CA, NY, NJ, etc. Who cares about RI's 2 EC votes? On the other hand, if we had a true democracy, with one man-one vote, then Joe Black's vote in Rhode Island would count as much as Jane Brown's vote in California. (IMHO)

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster