What I want is for someone to finally explain to me the reason for this entire Electoral College system. I passed US Government in high school, but apparently I missed the lecture when it was explained why we don't just use a very simple "most votes wins" system. If the majority of Americans vote for a particular candidate <coughGorecough> how can it be possible for the other guy/gal to win?
Lynn, it's because the US is not a democracy. smile We're a constitutional republic, with lots and lots of checks & balances built into the system, and with the system set up to give lots of clout to states as opposed to the Federal government. The Electoral College forces both candidates to try to appeal to all voters in all states, instead of hunkering down in a few key, highly-populated areas. In other words, with a direct vote system, nobody would give a crap about what Rhode Island thinks. wink

To have another race this close and again to be unsatisfied that we have the 'right' result is very disturbing indeed.
Liz, what's unclear? The results in 2000 were mixed, of course, but this time the Electoral count and the popular vote count are both going for Bush -- in fact, he's the first president since 1988 to actually get more than half of the popular vote. I understand lots of people aren't happy about this, but I don't think that invalidates the process.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K