I voted yesterday about 9 am, with no significant wait. No problems, though I did overhear a poll worker giving wrong info out about provisional ballots to a young man who was voting for the first time but whose name didn't appear on the registration log. frown Overall, though, we had very good voter turnout -- county-wide, we were at about 57%, with some precincts coming in at 68% (lowest precinct was around 39%). For a rural county in a vastly Republican state (in other words, we are not a swing state), this is pretty darn good by today's standards. (We had a number of contested county and state races, too.) I'm looking forward to seeing what turnout is nationwide.

What was really fun for me, though, was that I got to work with our local newspaper again on election night reporting last night. As some of you know, I'm very active in the League of Women Voters, and last year we began assisting the paper by compiling the precinct by precinct voting results into a large chart for publication. (Since we are a relatively small town, our paper doesn't have the staff to do this otherwise.) So on election night, a few of us hang out at the courthouse (where they tabulate the results), get print-outs of each polling place's results, then run them over to the newspaper office where another few of us enter them into the spreadsheet and format the info for printing.

Last year I got to shadow the Assistant Editor of the paper while she stood watch at the courthouse to do interviews, and this year I hung out with the Editor in Chief in her office putting the data together.

It was fun and interesting for everyone, but for a FoLC, bonding with the editorial staff of the newspaper and gettng to ask them all sorts of questions is a dream come true. goofy

Kathy