BTW, I was thinking about this the other day...is there anything in the ensuing episodes which actually states that it's Lex's body that's retrieved and reanimated? Because I was thinking that the whole set up, the tank etc. is very...clone-like. And now I'm wondering if it was a clone instead. But I haven't watched the eps in long enough that I have no clue what backstory we were given.
After Lex jumps there's a series of newspaper headlines detailing was has gone on since the attempted arrest and Lex's jump. One of the last headlines says that Luthor's body disappeared from the morgue. Then during all of the run ins with Gretchen Kelly, they make mention of the fact that it is Lex's body.

Now, he very well could have been a clone. Let's face it, Lex's body would have been destroyed beyond recognition. And regardless, coming back from the dead is pretty much impossible. Not that clones are necessarily any more believable, but this is the LnC universe so clones seem to be pretty common. :rolleyes: Stealing the body could have just been Gretchen's way of getting DNA to make the clone.

I think the intention of the writers was that Lex was brought back to life in his original body. They weren't shy about their clone themes so I feel like they would have made that known if it were the case. However, I'm inclined to think that you're free to believe whatever you'd like about how Lex came back. They are all equally (im)possible. goofy

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?