Hello Lauren,

You can easily rearrange scenes in Word. All you need to do is start each scene with a label on a separate line before the actual scene. Apply the Heading 1 label style to your label. To do this, make sure your insertion point is somewhere in the label, and on the Home tab, in the Styles group, click on "Heading 1."

Then you can go into the Outline view (via the View tab) and show only the Level 1 headings. This will hide your actual scenes and all you'll see are the labels for the scenes. If you rearrange the labels, the scenes associated with the labels will be rearranged, as well.

You would need to go through your story and delete all of the labels before you posted. The quickest way to do that would be to do a Find and Replace. Click in the "Find what" textbox, then click on "More" to display the "Format" drop down list arrow. Click on it, select, "Style..." then select "Heading 1". Leave the "replace with" box completely blank. Click on "Replace all," and all of your labels will be deleted, but the scenes themselves will remain intact.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. If anyone is interested in a more detailed description, I'd be happy to provide it.

My stories are short enough that I don't need this trick myself, but others might find it useful.

Joy,
Lynn