There's no evidence that Siegal or Schuster had any intentions of making a religious statement or having religious overtones anywhere in their creation. (Aside from the obvious - that Superman was a refugee who made good in the U.S.)
You know, I've often seen/read/heard comments about Superman being the ultimate immigrate. And I understand that. It fits the time period. And yet, reading the early Golden Age comics (and I'll admit that I've only read a few), I don't really see it. Being from an alien world seems nothing more than a plot-device to give him super powers - because humans don't have super strength or speed. I mean, he was the first comic superhero, the first one with powers, and this just seemed their method of giving him powers to me. I like the ultimate immigrate idea, but I don't so much see that motif. Though certainly there was the less law-and-order activities that were for the poor (like when he tore down a slum so better housing would be built) and stood up for the oppressed and that sort of thing. But I don't know enough of the time period to know if some of these things might be more closely associated with immigrants than with just poor people as a whole.