This reminds me a bit of the to-do awhile back related to the cameo challenge.

If someone finds something offensive, I would hope they would feel free to say so. I, personally, did not find this story offensive, but I would never try to fault those who did by implying that they were overly sensitive. Although I did not take offense to this particular piece, there have been times in my life when I *did* find something offensive, and the last thing I wanted was for someone to accuse me of having a thin skin, and try to brush the whole thing off.

I really don't believe there was any intention here to offend. Perhaps the reason I was not offended was because it was "Clark" who was speaking. Americans are more than permitted to poke fun at their own country. Perhaps the reason others *were* offended is because the author, who put the words in Clark's mouth is *not* American? Anyway, that's just my guess, it doesn't really matter *why* I wasn't offended or *why* someone else was.

Better to admit that something, although not intended to offend, inadvertently did. (IMHO)

Well, no-one asked me, and I hope you take what I said in the spirit it was meant.

- Vicki wave

Edited to add: well my explanation of why I wasn't offended doesn't take into account Lois not knowing what KM meant. When I read that, it seemed strange that she wouldn't know, but it didn't seem to me to imply that all Americans are stupid. Clark knows what it means, and his reply seems to indicate he thinks she should have known, too.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster