Hey everyone -

All right, LabRat. You caught me!!

Just one small thing:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They’d already said all that needed to be said. He’d dropped her at her apartment, giving her one last apologetic smile before she had turned and bolted up the steps. Long after the door had shut behind her, he had sat in the Cherokee, staring ahead at his hands grasping the steering wheel tightly. And it was an odd mixture of guilt, regret and relief that filled him when he took off back for the cabin, flying high above the clouds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might have missed something along the way - apologies if so - but this confused me a little. I didn't understand what he was doing here. Since he'd had to use the jeep to drive Mayson back to Metropolis anyway, why didn't he just drive it back again to the cabin as Clark? Why leave it there and fly back as Superman?
I admit that my primary reason for having Clark drive Mayson home but leaving the Jeep in Metropolis was a plot device - I needed to get Lois and Clark alone in that cabin without any means of leaving. Also, I didn't want him to admit that he drove Mayson home because I wanted to build the tension about whether or not he slept with Mayson, and admitting to Lois that he drove Mayson home would cue her that something bad must have happened. And if Clark admitted to Lois that he drove Mayson home, he would have had to drive back, (unless he told her that Superman gave him a lift, but why bother) taking away the stranded-at-the-cabin thing.

But in defense of my justification in doing this, I used the following assumptions about Clark
1. That he is too nice of a guy to let Mayson drive home alone
2. That he is too practical of a guy to drive back to the cabin (2 hour drive) when he assumes that Dan will be arriving at some point to take Lois home
3. That Clark would worry about Lois until he knew that Dan had arrived, so he might be motivated to take a quick flight up to check on her.

As for the very reasonble objections about Clark letting Mayson drive off in Lois's Jeep (which is very presumptious on his part!), it's another reason I had him drive her home. He's driven the Jeep before so it seemed a little more plausible that he'd help himself if the situation warranted it.

So all of this stuff aside, it is very clear that I need to work on explaining this stuff a bit better in the story. I may add a paragraph in the Epilogue that speaks to his thoughts/actions that will hopefully satisfy the very valid points raised by all of you perceptive readers! At least well enough so that you can't drive a truck through the hole (maybe only a little motor scooter of suspended disbelief!)

Thanks all for reading and offering your good points.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah