This was wonderful! thumbsup

You did an excellent job of portraying Lois' grief. Little details like her not having combed her hair in two days, and of course, this:

Now the slip of red silk and spaghetti straps lay crumpled in a pile, tossed to the back of her closet where dwelt shoes of three seasons ago and not less than half a dozen ruined pantyhose thrown there in a fit of irritation on a morning when such inconveniences were not appreciated. She would never wear the dress again, of course. But neither would she ever throw it away.
and

Lois blinked at the sound, her own voice strange to her ears not because of any normal distortion experienced when hearing one's own voice spoken from outside one's own head, but because she truly thought it impossible that she had ever been able to laugh. Had her chest ever contained something other than the heavy weight that pulled her down?
I loved her thought process as she fought against accepting the truth that Clark = Superman.

You also did a very good job of taking her from relief to hurt to anger and finally to understanding.

As the others have mentioned, I am very anxious to see what was in the letter! In fact, as a fairly regular reader of stories here, I urge you completely ignore Wendy's ill-advised suggestion, and post Part II immediately!

Just kidding - she's right. You'll get more feedback if you wait a few days. Much as I hate telling you this. But please don't wait too long!!

- Vicki wave

Edited to add: while I was writing this, about 6 other people posted... including you, Lynn. Just wanted to say that I, personally, did not get the impression that Perry had figured it out. So you could play this out either way you want.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster