It is confusing when names aren't immediately gender specific. You see a name on a list that says "Blair Hunter Jones" and really, what do you assume? At this point, I'd guess it was a girl, but who knows. And then there's Courtney, the young man who lives right next to us.

Lots of men's names tend to migrate over to becoming women's names. "Laurie" used to be short for Lawrence. Florence, apparently, started out as a guy's name (if PBS did not mislead me) Kelley means "warrior". etc.

My favorite name story is of the mom who just couldn't find a name she liked, and finally in desperation decided on Lemonjello -- yes, that's right, she named the kid lemon jello. With the right accent it even sounded kinda cool laugh "le-MON-gel-lo". I can't vouch for the truthfulness of the story, though; I heard it in high school which was twenty years ago.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K