2002 was the year many called, "The Year of the Woman," and I think it was appropriate (the winners in Nov. 2002 took office in 2003). Many women did win gubernatorial races that year. One additional woman won a Senate seat in North Carolina, Elizabeth Dole, who unfortunately ran a terrible campaign and lost this year. Since numerous governorships are up every two years, I would say that it was a coincidence that so many women won that year.

I personally think this country is ready for a woman president, hence my prediction that it could come sooner rather than later. Just looking at this past election, many Republicans were chomping at the bit to vote for Governor Palin, not for John McCain. Her choosing boosted the Republican ticket until the financial crisis came directly to the foreground and may have been the element that would have put John McCain over the top if not for that "September surprise."

Her choice as vice president, I think, automatically puts her in the position of front runner for 2012. Now other candidates may come forward, such as Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal or Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty, but she has to be considered the favorite at this time. By the time 2012 rolls around, she will either have six years in the governorship under her belt, or she would have moved to the US Senate if and when Ted Stevens is forced to resign or if she goes up against Lisa Murkowski when her term is up. Either way, I think she'll be a force in 2012 if she decides to run. While the Democratic Party has a history of choosing dark horse candidates like Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton, the GOP tends to nominate early front runners, making Sarah Palin even more likely to get the nomination if she wants it.

As for the list of women I've mentioned as potential presidents, the only one I would have trouble with would be Jennifer Granholm of Michigan. I don't think she's been a very good governor and would likely, therefore, not be a very good president. She was re-elected, mostly, because of the weakness of the GOP in that state, who couldn't field a strong candidate. I would be very comfortable seeing any of the others become president.

I could potentially even support Janet Napolitano or Kathleen Sebelius over the GOP nominee if the nominee turned out to be someone like Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee, neither of whom I would support for president.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin