You name it - other beliefs and interests won't give people special protection or special consideration from authorities.
An inability to see how religion differs from, say, stamp collecting, is a huge stumbling block in this sort of argument.

I think it's pretty easy to see how for some people religion is the basis of their worldview--to the point that everything revolves around it. That's a given. The question is not how to squash that worldview into something palatable for the rest of us, but rather to look for some point of intersection. A place where compromises can be made. You're not going to get very far in convincing someone, if you're yelling at them that they're unreasonable and deluded and/or forcing them to conform to another worldview.

One does better then, making *some* concessions to religion (say conceding its privileged role in someone's life) in this case, rather than to try to dismiss it.

I say this in response to the UN thing. It strikes me that this is a concession to free up some space for dialogue (protecting it via "respect"). We're certainly not getting very far waving free speech as a right to dismiss other religions. The harder we cling to our right to say a religion is backwards and primitive (from our oh-so-enlightened point of view), the harder the followers will cling to it, percieving it as an attack on *them*. This sort of thing leads to a standstill.

Given this, I can understand where "respect religion" thing came from, even if it is shocking from a secular standpoint (and that shock is yet another the problem to deal with, since we're supposed to attempt to climb OUT of ourselves).

Will the "respect religion" thing work out? I honestly don't know. I should hope that the UN uses the utmost care in protecting human rights and decrying abuses, which should be first and foremost. However, the UN is hardly infallible. sad

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png