Lois hurried out of her bathroom and over to the living room phone as she tied shut her towel around her torso. She had needed another shower to wash off the…well, muck, which was last night’s date with Lex.
Wait, so we are starting this with Lois running from the shower to answer the phone? It took me 3 readings to realize that (maybe it was four).

She couldn’t believe that she had changed her clothes what felt like seven times the night before in preparation for their disaster of a date.
Lois:I am so glad I did not wear the first thing I tried on. I wore it once with Clark, and I like it, I am so glad it is not now permanently tainted by Lex.

Lex had asked to spend the weekend with her, which she had negotiated down to dinner Friday night.
What part of "not until the wedding" does Lex not get. Not that he will ever actually get a wedding either, but still.

What did one wear for ‘a date with one’s stalker’ one was investigating?
Depends what one wants said stalker to think.

She wanted to wear something that looked nice, but didn’t say ‘come hither’.
That will just make him want her more.

Unfortunately, the Man of Steel was busy.
Otherwise she would put on some clothes that say "come hither" and call for him (Superman)?

she really couldn’t see a third option.
She still might have to go into hiding when Lex goes to jail. Just because he is behind bars will not mean his power will have ended.

Did Lex know that some people thought orange roses meant passion or desire?
Probably not until he had an assistant research their meaning after getting them.

apparently he had thought she had known that as well.
One would also think Lois would have researched what it meant to work as a singer at the Metro Club before doing so as well.

Lois had thought she had dissuaded him from pursuing her,
By accepting his date to the opera? She really does not understand men, at least not Lex. Although if she understood Lex she would probably have to be disturbed as well, so maybe not understanding is a good thing.

John Pack Lambert