thumbsup He's learning.

"We'll be expected to have breakfast in the main hall. The Elders will most likely be there. There will probably be some discussion about some matter or another. Then my father, Ching, and I will go to the main receiving hall. Once a week, we hear petitions from the commoners and lesser nobles. Depending on how many we have, we could be there all day. So I won't see you for lunch. We'll all be together again at dinner, then the rest of the night we'll all get some free time."
Sounds... yawn... exciting.

"So...I'm expected to do...what, exactly?"

"Nothing," Kal said.
Wow, sounds equally... yawn... exciting.

"Jai isn't a full-blooded prince, and therefore can never ascend to the throne. The law doesn't explicitly forbid him from hearing petitions, but the Elders frown on his presence. So he almost never sits in with us. And Zara is a woman. The law actually does forbid her to sit in on the petitions."
Que Lois screamfest.

"That's ridiculous!" she said, fairly fuming. "She'll be the Supreme Lord's wife one day, when Ching ascends the throne."...
"I know. And I agree. But the way that the laws are now, Zara will never have any true power. Ching and I both hate it. Our hope is to one day change the laws. We'd like to see equality...for men and women, for trueborn children and those who aren't."
Again... not really loving Krypton, here.

"Why...why are you telling me all of this?" Lois looked at Kal as though she thought his confessions suspicious.
"Ah... 'cause it was kind of obvious you never attended college... 'cause your a girl... and so you can't... and ah, you don't know about these things."

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.