I see Kal-El's life and personality on Krypton is much different than that of his on earth. This is probably due to being raised as a prince with his birth family, instead of a serf like the Kents. wink I like that you made Jai (Jimmy) is half-brother and that Kal wasn't 'contractually bound' to Zara in this story. (phew!) At first I was worried one of the brothers would end up being Nor.

The fight scenario between the three brothers makes me wonder how stable the ruling class is in your story. Is there an anticipation of attack or an uprising? Or are they just bored upperclass youth with nothing else to do but beat each other up?

I take it that Zara and Ching's marriage hasn't happened yet. Strange that a second son is married off before the heir apparent has sired a heir, but I don't know the full structure of this society as of yet.

Again, your descriptions are beautiful and detailed in a way that makes me envious. When Kal walked into Jor-El's study it wasn't a blank room but one fully realized by the reader. Well done. clap

So far Kal seems like an arrogent, full-of-himself and his (non-super) abilities, spoiled brat. True, this wasn't the future he wanted, but as to how this has curtailed his aspirations (whatever they might be) for his future are still vague. Kal clearly doesn't seem too interested in the fair sex (at least taken any opportunities with the concubines) nor fallen in love elsewhere, hence the spoiled brat remark. (I don't know how much contact the two sexes have with one another in this society.) Kal has yet to express any interest in a career (if that is possible for royality), a vocation, or hobby (except besting his brothers at any chance given) since leaving the military. Sorry, I'm not feeling overly sympathtic for Kal and his plight, yet. The Kal-El we know and love, would have willingly given up his marital life for the chance to save millions of people dying in a plague and a beloved elder brother, even if said arrangement was not one of his making or liking and wouldn't have been so pouty and pissy about it. (Actually, didn't Clark do this by agreeing to leave Lois and marry Zara?)

I'm assuming Kal's personality will change during the course of this story so that he's more like the CK that we love. Or is this a reverse "Taming of the Shrew" where Lois is the one forced to tame the shrewish Kal? (oooh, that could be fun twist. laugh )

I look forward to Kal's meeting (marriage) to Lois.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.