First of all, I want to say that the staccato style of this chapter, with all the single line paragraphs, works very well here. It really heightens the sense of Lois's indecision, both in her thoughts and her actions. Nice choice.

Lois snatched at a packet of size 34-36 - one pair blue, one pair red
Heh, super color choices. wink

Surely, other women bought male clothes. Surely, wives bought male underwear.

But she wasn't wearing a ring.
Wait ... how long has Lois been out of the country?? Men and women live together all the time without being married, and it was certainly common by the early-90's. Her recent traumatizing assignment aside, I would think an experienced CIA agent wouldn't even blink at something like this. Not to mention one tough enough to stand up to Moyne.

She stood. She waited, watching him, her hands on the doorjamb, one foot just inside the cell, the other in the staffroom.

Mr Kent didn't move for what seemed like a long time.

Then, his hand flattened against the wall, and he rose slowly to his feet.
My eyes widened at this change and things went very still in my mind ...

She put the piece of paper on the table and quickly folded it into a paper airplane.
Then I started reading faster ...

He backed away ... into the far corner of the room.

Then he slid down the wall and sat.

Lois's legs felt like hardened concrete. Her heart was pulsating in her eardrums. Her lungs couldn't seem to get enough oxygen.
And faster. But you know what? Now it's Lois whose heart is pounding when I read this story, not mine. Because I now have hope. Yay! thumbsup