This Kal-El knew how he was being used and why, but the important point was that he didn't care. It's not clear to me from his first conversation with Perry whether or not Clark has a conscience about what he's doing. As far as I can tell, he's simply doing what's expedient. And that includes telling Perry because he might need a place to go in fifteen or twenty years.

Did Clark take out the general? Unclear, but probably yes. He's still doing what's expedient for him, and now that Perry is the last one to know what he looks like, Clark is going to keep him closer than a friend. And my impression of his smile at Lois's whirlwind appearance is that he liked what he saw when she came in and what he saw when she walked out. X-ray vision, remember? I don't think it had anything to do with Lois' personality or fire or drive for the truth. In fact, those aspects of her personality will put her in danger around "El Diablo."

This is a truly scary Clark. He believes that nothing can harm him, but he prefers not to be in the center of a big hoopla over what he can do and what he's done. So the only way to make him toe the line is to threaten him with exposure, but that carries a terminal risk, too. I do not see any way for this setup to turn out well.

I'd like to see his take on the theater demolition, too. I bet he can fake sincerity as well as Perry ever has.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that plot bunny was also rabid.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing