46. Ride the River, by Louis L'Amour

I doubt Louis L'Amour knew he was writing a young adult novel when he wrote this entry in the Sackett saga back in 1983, but it definitely qualifies. Sixteen-year-old Echo Sackett can ride horses, hit anything she aims at with a gun, and carries an "Arkansas toothpick" -- and she knows how to use it. She would fit right in with today's YA heroines.

47. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore

This comedic novel tells the story of the missing years of Jesus's life (or Joshua's, as he is called in the book), as he and his best friend, Levi called Biff (for the sound made when smacking someone upside the head), travel to Afghanistan, China, and India to study with the wise men. A very entertaining novel, but not for the easily offended.

48. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst

This is an old favorite that my niece wanted me to read to her. Then she decided not to pay attention, so I read it silently to myself, and refused to start over when she realized I'd stopped reading (not paying attention has consequences). Now I have an LnC plot bunny hopping around in my head, which needs to go lay down until I get more of Panem written.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland