Caught - Harlen Coben
Missing You - Harlen Coben

Coben has been one of my go to guys for lightweight, pulp thrillers for a number of years. These two were pretty much as you'd expect. An intriguing plot and characters to root for.

Nightwalk - D. Nathan Hilliard

I've been eager to read more from this author since reading Spiderstalk a while back. This horror novel reminded me a lot of King's The Mist - an idiot meddles with things he doesn't understand, causes a rift to another, deadly dimension & suddenly the sleepy little gated community of Coventry Woods is inhabited by monsters. But it was a good romp nonetheless. Lots of action, some genuinely heartstopping moments and solid characters.

The Ways of Khrem - D. Nathan Hilliard

Cargill the Bookseller lives a quiet life, in a modest house, overlooking the vast city of Khrem...an ancient metropolis of cavernous streets, lofty spires, and dark secrets. But Cargill has a secret of his own. He once prowled Khrem's shadowed corners as one it's most accomplished thieves, before the rigors of that life drove him into retirement. Shaken and world weary, he retreated into the peaceful life of a book merchant, with nothing but the nightmares to remind him of his past.

Only now that tranquil retirement has been complicated.
His life is turned upside down when Captain Wilhelm Drayton of the City Watch arrives at Cargill's doorstep and confronts him with his criminal past. The idealistic young Watch Captain is on a mission, and he intends to put the former thief's experience to his own use. Now Cargill must assist him in solving mysteries in a city where the villain may not even be human, bringing all of his skills to bear as he finds himself at odds with gods, monsters, and psychopaths alike. He must try and protect his current life while once more dealing with a past both dark and tragic.

An outing away from horror and into the fantasy market, this was an excellent fantasy novel. I loved the group of characters and the world they inhabited was well formed. And Cargill's snide, deadpan snarking manservant is an absolute joy.

It's a stand alone, but the ending gave hints that the author might return to these characters in the future. I certainly hope so.

The House of Reckoning - John Saul

The usual horror fare from Saul. It was enjoyable and the young heroine someone you could root for. The plot got a tad ridiculous towards the end but that didn't really spoil things much.

Cruel World - Joe Hart

Hidden away from the world by his famous father, Quinn Kelly strives to find meaning in his life while struggling with a deformity that has kept him from leaving the only home he has ever known. On the eve of his departure a sudden and deadly virus sweeps across the nation, killing nearly all it touches. Within days Quinn is left to fend for himself in an empty world.

But there is something still very much alive beyond the walls of his sanctuary, its malicious intent clear all too soon.

Joining forces with a young single mother and her blind son, Quinn must cross a dangerous and silent America in the search for refuge and a truth that may shatter his sanity and strip him of the last things he holds dear.

I just loved this PA novel. Genuinely inventive, action packed and with characters you could empathise with. I saw the big revelation coming from pretty far out, but that didn't detract from the adventure.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/25/17 01:29 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers