The flashbacks have really grown on me, and it's great seeing Lois's past through them.

Originally Posted by BJ
Star nodded and then scrunched her eyes closed against new tears. “I hate him, Lois. He’s the vilest person I’ve ever met. What gives him the right to treat us like this?”

Lois stroked her hair again. “I don’t know, Star. I tell you what, though. I’m not going to let him do this to you. Tomorrow I’m going to find out what we can do to end this. Tonight, though, it’s my job to figure out a way to cheer you up."

Although I hate the torture these girls are enduring, I love Lois's reaction. Seeing the origin of Mad Dog Lane puts a different spin on her tenacity. It really puts her fighting for the underdog (no pun intended) front and center, with accolades and awards taking a second to giving a voice to the voiceless and righting wrongs. Even if her public persona says differently.

Originally Posted by BJ
Star giggled. “Yeah. Do you think I can call in sick for school and testing tomorrow?”

“Absolutely! But only if you can barf all over my dad’s dress shoes.”

Perfect answer!! notworthy rotflol

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois turned to go back into her kitchen to grab a cream soda when a knock directly behind her on her third-story, living room window caused her to shriek and jump in fright. She turned, a hand over her chest, to see Clark hovering just outside the glass in full Superman glory, a smirk of amusement on his face.

Great to see the fun side of Clark so often missing in Alt-Clark's sad life. And catching this Lois with her psychic abilities by surprise is priceless!

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois bent down to unlock the window and then lifted the pane up. Her intended scolding froze in her throat as she got a close-up look at Clark in his Superman outfit. Lois swallowed to try to moisten her suddenly dry mouth as her gaze drifted down Clark’s body suspended a few feet away. He had the most amazing physique and the spandex showed off every muscled contour to perfection.

What a wonderful description! clap

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois shrugged. “Incentive. I’ve always felt that games are great for get-to-know-you gatherings. I thought it might take the heat off a little. A little competition doesn’t hurt, either. How about winner gets to ask the questions, loser has to answer. No hedging, only truth.”

“Interesting. Feeling like losing a few games to a master, huh?”

“Pff! As if!” Lois bumped his arm with her shoulder. “You never said that super-slamming was one of your powers. You have no idea who you’re talking to here.”

“Lois, I grew up in Kansas. Card games were our version of clubbing.”

Love this interaction!

Originally Posted by BJ
Lois grinned. “I told you, Clark. I’m psychic.”

“And I have x-ray vision; trust has to start somewhere, Lois. I don’t think you cheated. Tell me, how did you know?”

“No way am I going to give away your tells! It took me three games to learn them.”

Interesting twist. Love how she tells Clark she's psychic, and he completely misses it as a confession. Nice parallel to Canon Lois not recognizing Clark and Superman as the same person.

Originally Posted by BJ
They sat together in silence for a moment until Lois left his embrace to get a tissue from the coffee table. When she turned back toward Clark, he held up another game. “Gin Rummi?”

Lois hiccuped a laugh.

Clark's gentle handling of Lois and her emotions is delightful. clap

Loved this chapter! And there's another chapter to enjoy. dance

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly