I appreciate the work that went into updating the archives, and am grateful that after all these years, over four thousand stories still have a home. Those stories represent countless hours of work, the emotional heart of the authors, and the friendships built between a diverse group of people from around the world.

I am disappointed by the loss of the Kerth Award graphics. The ribbon permanently attached to the story in the archives is the one tangible thing an author wins, but it has now been stripped away. The ribbons were marked with the year in which the stories won; that historical context is now gone. Viewers no longer have a sense of how an author developed over time, can no longer easily see when they were actively writing. The thin boxes that now mark winners are easily overlooked and lack explanation. For example, Wendy Richards has several stories with two boxes - what did they represent? Why do the boxes look like Chinese characters on my phone?

I took a great deal of pride in my virtual ribbons, and must say that I was hurt when I saw they were gone.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink