Wow, I have no idea what I said to spark this kind of story from you (I like the happy stories, really, I do, why does no one believe me? whistle), but it is VERY well done! I love the methodical way it all plays out, like a set of dominoes going, one piece after another after another. Clark put all his hopes into the justice system and when it failed him, he just kept losing: his wife, his hope, his friends, his parents, his secret identity, his place in the JL, his conscience, his purpose. It felt like a spiral that just wouldn't let up -- to bring Superman to the point of suicide is unbelievably scary! I was just beginning to get a bit frantic (I KNOW you told me I'd be able to read it without being scarred for life) when Lois finally woke up from the induced dream and I could finally breathe again. HG Wells might be a bit bumbling, but he does always come through for us in the end -- and he's finally learned to talk about things like fertility and pregnancy without blushing and stammering!

Oh, and since I'm a huge fan of the Justice League (the comics, anyway; I've never seen the show -- where is Hal Jordan?!), it was fun to see them. In fact, even though I totally didn't believe in Clark's stance at the moment, I kind of got a kick out of Bruce's reactions. It's always fun to see him thrown off-kilter, and the only bright spot in the midst of Clark's depression was to see how much Batman really does depend on Superman's belief in hope and ideals.

Altogether, though, I think my favorite part is Jimmy. I've always liked him, and since writing Newsworthy, I've had a real soft spot for him, so it was really exciting to get to see him playing the brother/friend supporting Clark in the midst of devastation, and fighting to still call him CK. Just perfect.

Also, may I say how much I love that HG Wells explained how different variables led to different conclusions? Because I was just gearing up to give feedback something like, "Oh, well done, but I just don't believe that Superman would give up everything like this,' and then you completely derailed all my arguments and left me feeling satisfied with a good story and still happy with my belief in an indefatigable Superman! smile The mark of a good writer!