Wow.

Been away for a while and I come back to find this beast waiting for me. Excellent tale, DC, and very well told. My favorite line came from H.G. Wells:

There's no telling what might happen when we rewrite that story.

You're right, there isn't. And when we rewrite something on these boards, there's no telling what might come out. But I'm glad you straightened out the toys and put them back in the box neatly. In fact, you even unraveled one episode arc completely! I think you should write "Injustice Denied" and tell the real story of how Lois and Clark caught a corrupt district attorney and the criminal who dangled the bait in front of him.

Had I been Clark, I'm pretty sure I would have snatched Lois before she got to the execution chamber. Fewer people around to see it happen that way, and Clemmons would have been embarrassed right out of office.

I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline, though. I would have thought that Bruce Wayne would have "aged out" of being Batman by the time Clark made his suicide attempt. But then, you didn't actually state that he was still the Dark Knight, did you? Maybe he'd moved into the role of mentoring his replacement by then.

(What do you call Batman's dog? The Bark Knight! Ha-ha-ha -- oops. Bad joke syndrome.)

You whacked a lot of people in this story. I did wonder if Lucy ever turned up again or if she vanished permanently. I'd guess that her dad didn't even try to find her since he had his own guilty tragedy to deal with.

Powerful story, DC. Keep up the great work!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing