I haven't posted for a while, and it looks as if I may not for another while.

In April, I discovered a lump in my right breast. My doctor checked it and didn't think it was anything. We couldn't do much more because my insurance only covers a prophylactic mammogram every two years, and my last was in November of 2014.

Friday before last, I noticed it was sore all day, and Monday I called my doctor for another check. She said it seemed thicker, and scheduled me for a diagnostic mammogram the following day.

They found a suspicious mass about the size of a peanut. They told me that because of my age they had to assume that it might be malignant. Ultrasound over the whole area showed that whatever it was, it was still localized, and they were going to schedule me for a biopsy the following Monday. I managed to talk them into a biopsy the same day. You can get very determined when you are scared, which I was.

The results came back the next morning. It is invasive ductal carcinoma -- breast cancer, grade two. Further analysis is still pending to determine the stage.

80% of breast cancers are this kind, especially in women in my age group. I'm 68. They don't think it has gone beyond the localized area, but it requires immediate treatment, for obvious reasons. I see a breast surgeon on Thursday, which is, as far as I am concerned, a long time.

I've spent a lot of time crying since Wednesday. No matter how well or ill this turns out, the next year is going to be a very hard one for me. I hope anyone who knows my writing will wish me luck, and those who believe in it, please pray for me. I have never been so scared in my life.

Nan Smith

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.