Chances are, most of Windows 10 is already downloaded onto your laptop. Microsoft has downloaded the Windows 10 files onto devices running earlier versions of Windows so that the installation process (should you choose to accept it) will be expedited. My advice? If you currently have Windows 8, by all means update to Windows 10 -- it is, indeed, much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8. If you have Windows 7, it's more of a toss-up.

I updated because I know my school will be moving to Windows 10 sooner or later, and I wanted to be comfortable with this version of the OS before I'm asked to teach about it. I also went against my usual policy and was one of the early adopters, since I knew that once the school year started, there would be no way I'd have times to deal with the headaches should the installation process not go smoothly. As it happened, there was only a very minor glitch -- minor enough that I don't even remember the details any more. I like Windows 10, but I must admit that IMHO there aren't really any must-have features.

If you do decide to upgrade, though, I would strongly encourage you to read the articles I linked to earlier in this thread. Windows 10 in its default settings really is a privacy nightmare and it also will consume your bandwidth to spread their updates to other people's computers. (No thank you, Microsoft -- I do not want to have my computer used as your file server!) The articles I linked to let you know ways to tame the Windows beast.

Joy,
Lynn