Thank you, Michael. That was above my skill / understanding level. I'm just a humble classics major. (Think: Computing for Dummies level.) I went through all of my settings screens and could not find the one referenced in that link. huh So, I went and did my own research. shock thud

Apparently (not that I've had opportunity to try it), if one turns on one's computer, then hits the number lock key (on the log-in page) and then restarts one's computer, the computer is supposed to remember that you like the number lock key to stay locked. Sounds illogical to me (or just a one time fix). If a computer can do that from the log-in screen, why can't it do that from the desktop? In Windows 7, if I left my number lock on, it stayed on. (Same with cap locks, though I only use that rarely.) How is a new program supposed to make life easier, if it makes it more difficult? /rolls eyes/

Thanks for suggestion, anyway. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.