VirginiaR:

Yes, it really is my first fanfiction. I've written brief stories as part of blog posts, but never fanfiction. And I will submit it to the Archives.

And thank you for creating this challenge with groobie.

First off, I love the parallels between Mother Mary Frances and Superman.

How, although she loves being Mother Superior, how exhausting other people's expectations were. How she likes to step off the high pedestal of being a Mother Superior just to be a regular Sister. How she likes to unwind with a cup of tea. How she likes to blend into the crowd, just like another person we know.

Once I started, I kept finding more parallels.

I also like that she knew Lois from before and saw the connection between her and Superman.
Lois Lane.

Sister Mary Frances was her teacher. The first time she heard it, Lois had just gotten a 98 on her paper, and demanded she deserved a 100.

Sadly, here, she saw Lois as continuing to be stubborn and wrong, instead of Superman having been in the wrong. Then again, as Lois says in that scene, nobody ever sees him in that light. He's a "National Treasure". How could Lois compete with that?

I totally agree with you. I decided to stay as consistent as possible to the dialogue in the episode, and the nun fulfilling what Lois predicted.

I just feel for Lois. Knowing that she was begging for the 100, only so she could please her father, not herself, and Mary Frances never saw that. It shows us another light on that horrible day in Lois's past and also, how she's once more suffering now due to another man's pig-headness. She thought that Clark wouldn't hurt her as all the other men in her life had, and at the first opportunity he breaks up with her due to due to no fault of her own (except going where she shouldn't and getting hurt). Thankfully, Lois doesn't recognize Sister Mary or the pain Clark's inflicted upon her might double.

Yes, I agree. I thought it would be consistent with Lois's character that she would not confess her father's words to Mary Frances. And Sister Mary Frances may have been inexperienced as a teacher at this point, and not aware of or sympathetic to Lois's pain.

In the episode Martha and Jonathan side with Lois over this argument. I don't recall anyone ever telling her that though, and wish Martha or Clark had - to help ease Lois's pain.

Yes, Lois was in enough pain without recognizing Sister Mary Frances.

She wanted to show Lois that being imperfect is part of life and doesn’t mean failure. Whether you’re from Earth or Krypton mistakes are part of life. And that’s how she kept her three promises today.
Sadly, I believe Lois missed that message. frown Perhaps her words started Lois on the path that finally leads her to forgiving Clark.

I thought Lois missed the message too, and hope it at least subconsciously helped her to forgive Clark.

And I also couldn't recall which episode this was. Thank goodness for the online scripts. I was able to look through the list of characters in each episode to find the right one.

Thanks for your comments.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly