Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Yup. I was right. The parts just keep getting better. smile

To quote Clark from Soulmates: You ain't seen nothing yet.

I enjoyed his "Clark Kent-ing" with Ralph. The scene reminded me a lot of his interactions with Steve Lombard in the comics.

Yup, that's it exactly

I am having a difficult time, though, getting a handle on how this Clark thinks of himself with regard to his dual personae. On the one hand his thinking of "Clark Kent-ing" makes it sound as though he considers that persona to be the mask; OTOH, at one point in the second part, he thought to himself, "Control, Kent. Keep your control." That makes it sound as though he thinks of himself first as Clark (well, as "Kent," to be technical), and hence that Superman is the mask.

Okay. He is Clark. He thinks of himself as Clark. He's not playing the bumbling geek from 1940's or Christopher Reeve. He's confident, friendly, not afraid of showing his capabilities as a reporter, but, on occasion, he allows himself to seem a little accident prone and humble so as to adjust EVERYONE ELSES view of Clark Kent. It's kind of the 1990s version from the comics, and quite like Dean Cain's portrayal. Dean did bring sweetness and humility to Clark, but not necessarily the clumsiness ... although come to think of it I can remember him stumbling into his desk once, and spilling coffee on his files another time.

And by the way, you are a tease -- making us wait until the next part to find out what was in the box. Had he not given it to Lois so casually and in front of Suzie, I might have guessed it to be a ring; but I can't imagine that he would give a ring to her in these circumstances. I guess I'll just have to wait to find out...

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., After I posted this note, I read the previous feedback and I see that I wasn't alone both in thinking of an engagement ring and of discarding that idea. Hmmm... Maybe it's a home-made gift certificate promising some sort of special get-together?

Another person thinking it's a ring. They've not even mentioned the Pact this birthday. Clark's convinced that Lois is avoiding the subject so why would he jump straight to the engagement ring!!!!

You'll find out what the present is tomorrow night. And if you think this chapter ending was a tease ... just you wait. I'm very fond of ending my chapters on cliffhangers.

Originally Posted by chelo
Oh, come on!
This HAS to be an engagement ring!
But knowing Clark, it won't.... He wouldn't give her a ring in a pub or in front of any witness...

And what about this girl? Does Lois really trying to mate her with Clark?

Clark would never humiliate, or pressure Lois in such a way. Never.

Originally Posted by Christina
Pair the two shy people. Yeah, right. GREAT idea. But seriously, she might like him shy but something tells me things aren't going to end happily for poor Suzie by the end of this "setup date".

Poor Suzie? Really? Maybe Clark will like her and then Lois can get out of the Pact without having to break a promise/pink swear. *whistles innocently*

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."