I agree with what others have said, that personal preference might have a lot to do with what we read or watch in the first place, assuming we are too busy to watch/read every single fanfic/video that's produced. When I first started getting into L&C music videos back in 1999, I had a 28k modem, so it took hours upon hours to download one video, and that was when my mom had this "2 hour a day" computer rule -- IF I could get past that, IF I'd get to watch a video, I'd always go for the ones that were to songs that I liked and knew well, because then it was almost like a guarantee that, well, I'd like SOMETHING about the video, no matter what! smile Eventually I'd get around to watching as many as possible but it happened slowly. When that happened, I was introduced to songs I'd never heard before, like "The Sweetest Days" -- that I learned to love thanks to the video.

I hardly read any fanfic these days, and I feel bad about it because I know that so many people work so hard to write them. I choose what to read based on premise, mostly, the short description of it on the archive. I simply don't read anything that doesn't catch my interest immediately. None of those people will ever get my feedback. I feel kinda bad. frown

I used to write next gen fanfic. Once, it was asked on the fanfic list how people felt about next gen fanfic and a bunch of people said they couldn't stand them and wouldn't even read them. Another time, there was some poll where a bunch MORE people said they hated stories written in the first person and wouldn't even look at a story written in first person. And then there were my fics... next gen, first person fic... and it killed me that so many people wouldn't even give them a chance.

But then there are certain genres of fic that *I* steer clear of, so...

I guess in the end, some people will find your videos or fics and you will have fans and you might have people who don't like them, but don't worry about it. Your fans might not always have the time or words to express what they're thinking right away, or ever, but people still enjoy the work you do.

This goes for everybody -- any artistic thing you do involving L&C that you put out there for FOLCs to see will, I'm sure, be appreciated by somebody, even if just one person... I think that makes putting it out there worth it.

Molly