I don't know, Capes and Darcy. I've read a lot, too, and I read a huge amount of stuff growing up. It never seems to help me read any faster. (At one point, I'd read every ST novel available - no longer true. I've mostly lost interest.) Now the more I type, the faster I type, but reading... I don't think so. I've actually tried to read faster, and I can read a few paragraphs that way, but it seems to set off headaches.

And you don't even want to know how slow I read in Spanish.

I don't know. Maybe I read faster than I think, but it feels painfully slow to me when I hear about people reading five novels in a weekend or reading everything in the archive in four months. I've been reading (not looking at them) books since I was three. And my *comprehension* is high. I just can't read fast. My best friend is the same way, and she has a master's degree in English Literature of all things. (She reads much slower than I do.)

I once heard that the secret to reading fast is to keep your eyes moving--it may sound simple, but you'd be surprised how many people move their heads instead of their eyes, or who don't move at all when they're trying to read.
I suppose that might be part of my problem. I don't move my head, but when I move my eyes back and forth rapidly, I'm sure to get a headache - every time. Funny thing, though. I can actually read faster with a hand held computer than I can a book. I wonder if that has to do with the smaller screen and thus less eye moving.

Well, Darcy, I've been one to scan most of my textbooks, so I know how you feel. Notes always did me more good, too. But it's no fun when the class consisted of much of the textbook and you had to read it - especially medical textbooks (and talk about boring).

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~