I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but here in the US, especially after NippleGate, TV programs are required to show a "rating" at the beginning of the show. The rating is further clarified by initials that indicate what, exactly, makes a show rate a certain way.

So, for example, a show might be rated "TV-G" which stands for "General Audience", and there will be nothing in it that children can't/shouldn't see.

But a more adult program would be rated "TV-MA" which stands for Mature Audience. To further clarify, the initials L for course/rough language, V for violence, S for sexual content, and/or D for suggestive dialogue might appear. A program can be rated TV-MA because of L and S (language and sex), or maybe because of V and L (violence and language, no sex).

This means that if I don't want my kids watching shows with sex but don't care if they watch shows with violence (a sick example of the twisted sense of morality prevalent here in the US where sex is taboo but gratuitous violence is fine and dandy, IMO, which I will never understand), I can allow them to watch TV-MA, V but not TV-MA, S shows. Weird, I know.

I'm just wondering if something of this nature might not be helpful. If a story is rated Nfic, perhaps something at the beginning of the story to designate why it is Nfic would allow those who wish to avoid sexual content to stay away but then also allow others who would read it but assume that it must contain sexual content to see that it does not.

So, a story would be rated Nfic - S, L if it contained sexually explicit/suggestive content and harsh language.

However, it does seem from the poll that many people draw a line about Nfic and tend to stay away regardless of the reasons behind the rating. I can respect that - like keeping all kids out of rated R movies even if the reason for the R is something fairly innocuous. Better safe than sorry. wink

About that whole "adult theme" designation; I, too, think the phrase brings to mind something of a sexual nature. But logically I know that it might include things that are simply too intense for a younger crowd. For example, a story involving rape that didn't in any way show any of the actual event (had zero sexually explicit content in the entire story) but dealt with the horrifying aftermath might be a bit too intense for a younger audience, thus an "adult theme".

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah