I'm being ignored on another board for saying this - but they're a good deal more rabid there. (Not the Big Apricot, BTW)

For some of us who kind of watch the film industry - it was fairly obvious early on that WB didn't really want a sequel to Superman Returns. It did well in the box office but it wasn't spectacular. But when the studio keeps raising the ante on how much it needs to make before there's a sequel, that's just proof they don't want one.

My personal opinion is that WB knew in 2006 they really didn't want a Singer sequel. They just wanted to see how the wind was blowing on Smallville and the Batman franchise reboot and wanted to hedge their bets in the event SR had serious legs in the foreign markets.

My bet is that the 'reboot' will be very Smallville-ish. A very angsty Anakin/Clark without the Emperor to turn him to the darkside. (Have I mentioned I don't much like Smallville? I managed to miss most of last season - except for the ep with Dean Cain of course.)

But only the future will tell - we may be looking at another 20 years for a good Superman movie.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm