JoJo said:

It's always interesting to me that people say it was a flop... especially when it made 20million more worldwide than Batman Begins did...

Superman Returns: 391,000,000
Batman Begins: 371,853,783

Um can someone explain that to me?
That's an extremely good point. This is what I think.

To the film companies - Warner Brothers, Fox, whatever they are called - the important thing is how much money a movie makes during its first week or weeks in the United States. That is because the movie theaters have to give most of the money they make at the box office to the film companies, but that goes for the first two weeks after the film's opening only. Think of it like this. The most successful film ever is Titanic, or so I think at least. But Titanic was a slow opener, and its first two weeks were disappointing. But then it slowly gained momentum.
And just like Celine Dion sang in the movie's title song about her heart going on, the movie just went on and on and on. People kept coming to movie theaters to see it in the United States as well as abroad. But its success came too late for Fox and Paramount. In fact, instead of generating new romantic tragedies in a similar vein, the movie seemingly warned film companies off romantic movies! Not a single really successful very romantic movie has been made since that time! And there have been extremely few serious attempts to make romantic American movies at all since then. The 'wrong kind of success' for Titanic sank an entire movie genre!

Ann

Hmmmm. Sorry I have to celebrate myself for my post number 4038. You see, one of my favorite galaxies is NGC 4038:

NGC 4038