Thought this article was interesting. Seems they will make him darker though unfortunately.

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."
link

DonĀ“t know but to me the dynamics of Superman is a being with godlike powers that wants to live a normal life, yet cannot escape the consequences and responsibilties of those powers.
How do you build a better world when you have the power to rearrange it as you see fit.Who are you to make those decisions? And the constant fear of being corrupted by that power. those are the things that fascinates me about the Superman mythos.
Superman, to me, is "warm" first and foremost, not a dark brooding zombie. He finds a real joy in seeing other people happy.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...