For a companion to work there should be an undercurrent of sexual tension between the two. I don't think an actual romantic relationship would ever actually work for the show, but you have to make the audience want that.
Maybe some parts of the audience, but I'd disagree that's what the whole audience wants, Tank.

Certainly, part of my liking for Donna is down to just that fact. That there is no UST in this relationship. Rose, Martha - been there, done that, thoroughly enjoying the total lack of it really. laugh I mean don't get me wrong - I really liked that element of Rose's relationship with the Doctor and I still enjoy watching their episodes together. But it would have been stretching it way too much for me for a third companion in a row to have a sexually-charged relationship with the Doctor. It would have cheapened what he had with Rose for me if he could move on to yet another companion so easily.

And to be honest, I don't think I'm alone in that. I think there's quite a chunk of audience out there which was tired of the UST - especially as I don't think it worked that well with Martha - and which finds a Doctor/Companion relationship that isn't based on UST somewhat refreshing and energising, bringing a fresh, new dynamic to the show.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers